Hints & Tips
This is your chance to tell your story. All good stories have a structure so whether you are submitting entries for an outstanding group initiative or an individual, remember to structure your entry along the following lines:
- Beginning: How did your idea come about?
- Middle: What did you do to get there? Give examples demonstrating why you/your initiative stands out
- End: What were the results and what makes you/your initiative stand out?
To ensure that your submission is your best work, take a look at our hints and tips below before you start your entry:
- Make a note of the deadline: you must submit your entry by Friday 10 July 2020 so make sure you have this date in mind – write it in your diary or on your calendar, or set notifications on your phone to ensure you don't miss the chance to enter your excellent work
- Preparation is key: now that you know the deadline, allow yourself plenty of time to write, develop and submit your entry – coming back to it with a fresh pair of eyes can help you remember important details that may make the difference between being shortlisted and just missing out
- Make the judges' job easy: write in clear, plain English, avoid jargon and use bullet points where appropriate to break up the text
- Pay attention to grammar and spelling: poorly presented entries lack credibility so don't lose out on being shortlisted on something you could have easily avoided
- Involve the right people: if your work was a team effort, involve the other team members in developing the entry – you've got this far through teamwork so make it count
- Back up your entry: take advantage of the option to attach documents to support your entry with useful information such as employee surveys, recruitment and retention data, testimonials, documentation you have designed or anything that will help the judges to understand the impact of your work
- Proofread, proofread, proofread: ask someone else, such as a colleague, friend or manager, to look through your entry before you submit. It can be helpful to ask someone who was not directly involved in the work you are entering – like the judges they will not have detailed knowledge so they may suggest ways to clarify your entry
Don't miss your chance to win a Nursing Times Workforce Award. Entries are now open and you have until Friday 10 July 2020 to submit a winning application.
Hopefully you'll find an answer to any questions on our FAQs page. If not, please contact Jae Taylor on 020 3953 2117 or email Jae.Taylor@emap.com.